1. Vehicle Data & Correct Mileages
The goal of CARA’s Vehicle Data & Correct Mileages work group is to contribute to a regulatory and business framework that enables vehicle-originated data-based service offerings at minimal cost and maximum use for the remarketing sector. CARA establishes its viewpoints to the subjects and promotes these in conjunction with other associations, policy makers and among its members.
An important element of this is a European database to provide trusted mileage information to used car buyers. The work group provides a forum to define the requirements and recommendations of its members and interested parties in the remarketing area to such databases. Both legislative as well as commercial initiatives are considered by the work group. The database will also make sure to respect the GDPR in all markets.
Due to the movement of the EU parliament and expected activity of the EU commission, the work group will focus to develop and expand the standpoint of CARA regarding mileage databased into a wider position regarding free access to vehicle data. This shall ensure that the commercial interest of CARA members to utilize used car data is protected.
Parallel to that, the work group is working with commercial platform providers to ensure commercial mileage databases provide added value to CARA members and the used car market.
Due to the upcoming regulation by the EU commission, CARA focussed on gathering its members and outside stakeholders’ input:
- What is the legal and commercial framework for access to vehicle-generated car data such as use, mileage, consumption, driving patterns etc. across all EU markets
- Which data is vital for the remarketing sector to have access to, to enable safety, environmental compliance, and maximum lifetime of vehicles and hence residual values
- How should a mileage recording database be setup
- What data should be gathered to comply with EU GDPR
- Which entities should be allowed or requested to provide data and under what prerequisites these data shall be stored into the system
- How the data should be made public and how the competitive model shall look like
- What requirements would have data processors from data providers to transfer and process the data and vice versa
- Ensure a unique voice of the remarketing community towards the legislator and the key stakeholders
- Ensure a minimum direct cost approach to CARA members and the industry for providing the data or using vehicle data from 3rd parties
- Minimize consequential cost of data provision due to data protection / privacy legislation and legacy process adaptations
- Ensure safety, end-customer- (no fake mileage info), environmental- and data-protection compliance and maximized lifetime of used cars across the EU
- In the interest of CARA members that are interested to process and publish vehicle and especially mileage data, create an equal level playing field that enables competition for data processors and distributors to ensure low cost and fast penetration of vehicle data bases including correct mileage reading information
- For CARA members who sell their own cars, retain the competitive advantage of data they have from their cars beyond mileage relevant information to enable them to use this USP when selling cars off their own fleets
Read the CARA Europe Position Paper regarding Mileage Fraud.