1. Correct Mileages
The goal of the CARA Europe Correct Mileage Reading work group is to contribute to the establishment of an European database to provide trusted mileage information to used car buyers. The work group provides a forum to define the requirements and recommendations of its members and interested parties in the remarketing area to such databases. Both legislative as well as commercial initiatives are considered by the work group.
Due to the movement of the EU parliament and expected activity of the EU commission, the work group will focus to create a recommendation on the requirements of the CARA members towards the expected EU legislation. This shall ensure the commercial interest of CARA members to utilize used car data are protected.
Parallel to that, the work group is working with commercial platform providers to ensure commercial mileage databases provide added value to CARA members and the used car market.
Due to the upcoming regulation by the EU commission, CARA focussed on gathering its members and outside stakeholders input:
- How should a mileage recording database be setup
- What data should be gathered to comply with EU GDPR
- Which entities should be allowed or requested to provide data and under what prerequisites these data shall be stored into the system
- How the data should be made public and how the competitive model shall look like
- What requirements would have data processors from data providers to transfer and process the data and vice versa
- Ensure a unique voice of the remarketing community towards the legislator and the key stakeholders
- Ensure a minimum direct cost approach to CARA members and the industry for providing the data
- Minimize consequential cost of data provision due to data protection / privacy legislation and legacy process adaptations
- In the interest of CARA members that are interested to process and publish mileage data, create an equal level playing field that enables competition for data processors and distributors to ensure low cost and fast penetration of a correct mileage reading information ( e.g. a “car pass”)
- For CARA members who sell their own cars, retain the competitive advantage of data they have from their cars beyond mileage relevant information to enable them to use this USP when selling cars off their own fleets